Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Journey of this Summer


"A man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps."
Proverbs 16:9

God knew exactly what He had planned for me this summer, and I am truly amazed at how it has come together. I had about three weeks to relax and enjoy summer days at home and with friends before the traveling began for this summer. A lot of the plans did not get solidified until soon before they were to occur.


The week of June 13-18 I was on staff at Barefoot Repblic Camp in Scottsville, Kentucky. The experience I had there taught me many lessons the Lord has already been trying to reveal to me. Barefoot seeks to unite kids and teens from all different socio-economic backgrounds together under the banner of Christ. Kids of all races and statuses come together to learn from each other and grow in love and acceptance. I learned so much from them too.

The first day at Barefoot, I learned yet again that my preferences did not need to come first. I learned to be flexible and do whatever was needed. If that meant organizing a supply closet which I had no clue as to how it should look, or babysitting young children while their parents led worship. I was there to serve no matter what it entailed. Hannah Jeter and I both looked at each other that night and acknowledged how God was testing our response to serve selflessly and without pretense. In some ways we would have preferred what the other was assigned to do, but I felt strongly that we needed to stay where we were assigned to fully embrace the lessons for that week. Every night, even if we were tired, we tried to be available to do anything, from wrapping sound system cords to cleaning a game field in the rain. We were going to give our all. It was worth it.

I know I felt, and I think we both did, a need early on for a divine love for everyone there. Some people were easy to get along with, and others were not...as life usually goes. I asked God to show me His heart for the campers and to reveal how to love them in ways they needed it in order to draw them to Him. I asked for endurance and began the race of a long week..


On the first full day of camp, I saw my responsibilities would include a little bit of everything...I'd wake up with the 12 girls and 2 counselors in our cabin, have breakfast, go to praise and worship, meet with the CREW for the day's assignments, teach dance class, run supply errands (sometimes driving 50 mins one way), prepare snacks, organize mail, answer messages, set up for games, watch the kids during worship, set up for competitions, clean up, and go to bed--eventually. I loved this! Being involved in these things allowed me to feel like I was a part of making the week happen. That I was helping make it possible for the students to encounter Christ, even if I was the one behind the scenes. Every role is important and every person makes a difference.


Later in the week I had opportunities to connect more with a few of the girls and staff. There was not time to go as deep as I would have liked, but that taught me to be thankful for the time I had and use it to its fullest. Many times the last few days, it brought a smile to my face to see the joy of the Lord on what goes on at Barefoot. Joy was in everything from worship to connections to fun times together. One of the main things I will take away from this experience is the opportunity to build relationships with the Body of Christ. I feel I began relationships that God will continue as He leads me where I am called.


I pray the seeds planted and watered would yeild a divine harvest. I pray God would shepherd the hearts of those who do not yet have a relationship with Him. I learned many lessons at camp. How to lossen up and not take dance too seriously when we should just relax and have fun, how to be patient and understanding with people, how to ask questions to understand people unlike myself, how to serve in any capacity that would bless others, how to pray more than I say, how to expect the unexpected, how to love beyond myself, and how to drive to Bowling Green.


Please pray for Barefoot Republic Camp. For provision and blessing on everything they do. They are changing lives through the power of Christ. And...pray if you are called to go...it will change you too.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you had a great time Angela! I'm so happy for you and about all the things God taught you during this trip! You have an amazing heart that allows you to really connect with others and it's so great to see the Lord use that to glorify Him. I love you so much! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Angela! I am excited what the Lord is doing in you this summer and how He is preparing you for the next season with Global Boot Camp. Can't wait to hear more about what the summer holds. I love you and am VERY proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete