Monday, July 5, 2010

Germany Day 2

The morning of my second day here, I had a very peaceful time with God in the morning. I felt unhurried, undistracted, and undeterred. it was perfect to get to sit outside on the deck here and just listen to God and feel His pleasure.

When Jonka got up we had breakfast together. most of the time at breakfast we will have bread with a selection of anything you could imagine to put on it. cheese, meat, butter, marmalade, shredded ham, cream cheese, i can't remember the rest. We also drink juice typically mixed with carbonated water. I have begun to get accustomed to water with gas, but I often buy it without.

That morning, Julia and Felix took Molly and I sightseeing around the city of Detmold. It is beautiful, quiet, and quaint. The houses are very old and gorgeous. We saw the castle of Detmold. which has alot of history...and a lot of tapestries. They actually still have a prince here, but apparently he's just a regular guy who lives in the castle, but alao works a day job at a bank or something. We later went to see the Herman the German statue. Nic-named the little brother of the statue of Liberty, Herman the German faces France, declaring victory and warning possible foes. We walked up inside the giant green statue and saw a beautiful view of Detmold.

When we got ice cream, simply called ice here, later in the day I tried the Herman the German flavor (sweet, similar to caramel) and amarena (like cherry) I thought of my dad because he typically likes to try new flavors and such.
For lunch we tried Döner (doo-nah) which is a german-turkish food. a shaved meat sanwhich with a variety of toppings.

it's getting close to 11 p.m. here and I am fading fast. We have not gotten too much sleep, but I need to get through at least this day.

That afternoon we went to the meeting center for the CVJM. We got to be a part of a small group fpr girls ages 9-12. We sang songs...well they sang, we stumbled along...and they laughed at us crazy americans. the girls wanted to know if we knew miley cyrus, yes, the craze continues. We played games and heard a bible story about Jacob and Esau. The girls were fantastic and we loved getting the meet them. We later joined a group of girls about our age to do a similar program.

What is unique about the CVJM here is that they offer groups like this that you would typically see in a sunday school or church small group. They are the Church in this community and they offer these kinds of opportunities to especially younge people to learn and grow. I am impressed with this.

Later that night, I went with Ooli to a going away party for Meghan (the girl we met from TX). It has been amating to have new friends right away and to be accepted into their lives and such.

there are many unique things about Germany, but one is that the sun sets at about 10:30. whereas in TN it sets at about 8:30 or so. this has thrown me off a lot because I will think it is not that late, when it is really way past time to go to bed...like right now.

the next time I will describe our incredible 3 day trip to Berlin.

tschau!

No comments:

Post a Comment